The Magic Hour

This morning I was in the kitchen talking to my husband while sipping my mug of coffee. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed movement in the sound. I turned my head to take a closer look and saw two Orca Whales breach in Pickering Passage. My heart quickened and I yelled for the kids to come down and take a look. We all went out on the deck and waited to see them again.

It is a rare treat to see Orcas in South Puget Sound. They usually come down in the Spring to feast on salmon, but we don't always see them off our island. This year we were lucky. They were out there making such a noise with their breathing and breaching. The water shimmered around them, the light was the perfect blend of just enough sun and clouds for shadow and light.

It is events such as these that remind us why we live where we do. Our island is rural and we have to drive quite a distance for schools, shopping and friends. This morning our choice to live here was reaffirmed. This place is full of magic and we are incredibly lucky to get the chance to witness it.

Comments

Popular Posts