Gooey Crispy Chocolate Bars


I am always on the lookout for new snack recipes that
1. the kids like
2. that are moderately healthy and
3. help reduce the amount of "snack package waste" that we generate as a househ
old.

It is really easy to go to Costco and stock up on pre-packaged snacks, but they are expensive, not so healthy, and generate so much waste that it shames me.


Last week I picked up Nigella Express: 130 Recip
es for good food, fast from the library. There are quite a few new recipes that I want to try, but the first recipe that caught my attention was lunch box treats.

I went to the grocery store and stoc
ked-up on the necessary ingredients, but forgot the rice malt syrup. I live 17 miles from the grocery store, so I decided to make do with what I had on hand and came up with a slightly different recipe that the kids decided to call

Gooey Chocolate Crispy Bars

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
2 oz dark chocolate
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup cornflakes
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup sesame seeds (optional)

1. Melt the honey, butter, and chocolate gently in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
2. Add all the other ingredients, turning to coat everything well.
3. Pat into a greased 8x8 pan or into individual muffin cups or pan.
4. Keep in the fridge until they firm up.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts